Thursday 14 July 2011

What do I think I'm doing?



I have to acknowledge that sometimes I simply don't know. Of course, the medical (or medicinal) models used to help those with psychological and/or emotional struggles might likely see this as heresy; you have to know. Be right.


I have just listened to two gladiatorial psychiatrists tussling over their respective positions and opinions on the symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of ADHD.  Womens' Hour presenter - "What would you say to anyone listening who may have a very real concern about their children's ADHD diagnosis and subsequent treatment, when they hear two 'experts' unable to agree?" Their response was to completely ignore the question and to continue to battle their respective stations. 'I'm right' - 'No, I'm right!'. Quite clearly their own positions being paramount; completely ignoring the concern of their 'patient'.


I remember recently being at a seminar/workshop where an experienced and respected colleague described much of his work as 'fumbling around in the dark'. Aware as I am that this description might evoke doubt, uncertainty, hopelessness and fear in those seeking help and comfort, this, indeed, can be my experience, I cannot run, shy away, from these feelings and experiences; they are the constituents of darkness; a world we all deal with on any given day, and most certainly the central nature of therapeutic work; we are constantly fumbling around in the dark.


Daring to do this we sometimes stumble into or trip over some enlightening insight. Things can become clear through darkness.







1 comment:

  1. Interesting, Clive.

    I found myself suggesting to someone a little while ago that one of the key lessons of late adolescence is that there are shades of grey as well as a spectrum of colour, that the subjective is just as valid as the objective, that qualitative is as good as quantitative, and one person's opinion is no better or worse than your own. Sadly many people don't seem to discover this until well after retirement!

    Keep up the writing!
    Best wishes
    Graham

    ReplyDelete